Tax Year 2023 K-1 Help Center
All Info & FAQs Regarding Tax Year 2023 K-1s
Thank you for your investment in Alumni Ventures and our venture funds. As America’s Largest Venture Firm for Individual Investors,1 it is our mission to provide white-glove service to each and every one of our nearly 10,000 investors. Part of this commitment includes the timely delivery of your tax documentation each year.
Many of our investors have a portfolio that includes exposures to hundreds of venture investments — a robust diversification to bolster returns. Still, our overall goal is to get our investors their K-1 tax documents on or before 3/31/24.
We understand that — for some — tax season and K-1s can be somewhat stressful. To help with that, we’ve launched our K-1 Help Center.
Your Tax Year 2023 K-1 Help Center
This year, we are introducing the Tax Year 2023 K-1 Help Center, where our investors can access information and progress updates relating to their tax documents. In TY2022, we generated nearly 30,000 K-1s, and in TY2023, we anticipate a 15-20% increase with a goal of distributing all K-1s by 3/31.
Background on K-1s & Venture Investing
Many of our nearly 10,000 investors have never made a venture investment prior to joining Alumni Ventures. Part of our job is to help educate our investors and serve as an “asset class ambassador.”
- A key piece to understand is that the status quo outside Alumni Ventures for nearly all angel and venture investors is to not receive K-1 documents until the summer or even into the fall, well after the traditional April annual filing deadline.
- Though it’s not easy — our scale, systems, technology, and our great staff enable us to deliver K-1s to our investors on or before 3/31 each year.
- There can sometimes be exceptions that impact a very small minority of our investor base, which sometimes causes delays into early April, but this is the exception and not the rule.
We Take Pride in Our K-1 Systems
Delivering K-1s to all of our investors in a timely fashion is among our most important goals. Each year, we invest in the operations that go into this immense workload. Over the last year, we have:
- Continued to expand our CEO Services into our 1,200+ portfolio companies, further improving our portfolio company relationships, which in turn decreases turnaround times in Q1 when collecting required data needed for K-1s
- Improved K-1 workbook automation and integration into our financing systems, leading to drastically reduced manual prep time required
- Expanded support network of 3rd party providers to increase throughput capacity. This is critical to ensure we can process the roughly 35,000 separate K-1s prior to our self-imposed 3/31/24 deadline.
Setting Expectations for Spring 2024
How Soon Will K-1s Start to Arrive?We expect that K-1s will start to become available for some investments starting the first week of March.
How Will You Be Notified?When 100% of your K-1s are ready for you, we will email you. We expect these emails to start to go out in mid-March and continue through the end of March.
When Should All Your K-1s Be Ready?Our goal is to deliver all of your K-1s on or before 3/31.
It is possible that unforeseen circumstances arise and that some K-1s will not be available within the date range provided. As soon as we have information that leads us to this conclusion, we will notify impacted investors and reset expectations, if necessary.
Your Individual K-1 Availability Dashboard
Within your Investor Portal and the “Documents & Statements” tab, you will find a section called the K-1 Availability Dashboard. This will list all of the K-1s you can expect to receive for TY2023.
- We expect that K-1s will start to become available in the first week of March. However, investors may not have all of their K1s available until the end of March.
- As they become available, the status will move from “In Progress” to “Available,” and you will see a link to your document for download.
K-1 Frequently Asked Questions
During tax season, we understand you may have questions about your K-1s. Please visit our K-1 FAQ center for more information.
1Alumni Ventures is America’s largest VC firm for individual investors based on the combination of total capital raised, number of investments, and number of investors of leading VC firms as reported by PitchBook and other publicly available information reviewed by AV.